Monday, March 25, 2013

Little Sweethearts...

I've had such a lovely time sewing together this little runner.  All 19 x 81/2" of it!
I mostly make large quilts- in fact very large quilts which get pieced and then put aside.  I'm a quilt top queen!  However, this cute little runner had me in its spell.
The pattern was very easy to follow, so follow I did.

I found I couldn't stop here, so before I knew it....
Drumroll Please!!!  LOL.

Quilted AND bound!
The single fold binding was tedious, but I pushed on through and finished.
This little mini-quilt looks fabulous.
If I do say so myself. :).

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Look what turned up today.

I heard the postman this morning.  Went out to see what presents had been left for me, and look what appeared.
Seems like I was very lucky to get this envelope.

That corner was actually inside the envelope.  I can't tell you how much I held my breath as I opened it up.  I had visions of my fabric on a floor somewhere.

Look at what was inside.  Is that cute or what?
I was lucky enough to get this cute pattern and a kit from Kathleen Tracy.   I've missed Valentines Day this year, but I'm ahead for next, right?

Such sweet fabrics.  Just asking to be made up into a cute little quilt.
This range is a lot outside my usual fabric preference, I was so happy to buy a little kit with all these fabrics.
Can't wait to get cutting.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Looks like a bunny...

Finished Block 4- looks like a bunny rabbit to me!

Sooo cute.
Onto Block 5.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Oh how things change.....

I was cleaning up my sewing room book shelves yesterday, and came across a project from about 6 (maybe 7!)  years ago.

Oh, how cute is this pattern.  I purchased it as a block of the month over 12 months, complete with fabric.  I found the 12 kits all carefully filed away, with the first 3 blocks finished, and the 4th underway.

My, how times and techniques change.
 I have been appliqeing for a long time, I love the process.  However, my technique of choice has changed a lot over the last 15 years or so.
I have moved from freezer paper on the wrong side and press the seam allowances under, through freezer paper ironed on the right side to give a nice edge to turn seam allowances against, to either tracing the shape directly onto the applique fabric from the pattern or tracing around a freezer paper template and using glue to baste down.
I love glue to baste- as long as I can wash the quilt when it's finished.
When this block was started, I was still in my freezer paper on top phase.  How did I do that?  Gosh, I started trying to finish this rabbit with the paper on top.  So unwieldy, so hard to sew.  And the pins- oh the tangles!
So, I quickly traced around the shape, removed the paper and glued it down.  Huge sigh of relief.

Block 4 just needs some stems and a few tulips and she's done.  Stems are made.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Netherfield continues.

I've been working away at the next border for Netherfield.  Whilst waiting for the stem fabric to arrive, I've been finishing off the flowers and buds.  Thought I was going great guns until I just realised I also need to make 64 leaves.  Hmmmm.  Work for tonight.

I've also sewn the flying geese for the next border.
I'm trying very hard to finish this quilt before something else catches my eye that needs to be started,  I don't want this poor quilt to languish in a corner
Luckily, this quilt pattern is a real pleasure to work on.