Friday, April 11, 2014

Gathering In The Barn.

Last Saturday, I spent a lovely day stitching with very Good Friend, Gerry.
We trecked off early in the morning to Wonga Park( Visa and passport at the ready!), for a wonderful day with The Quilted Crow Ladies.
The day started with a delicious morning tea and progressed upwards from there.
Gerry and I both started stitching the lovely felted wool applique design on cotton fabric.
This is such an easy method of applique- blanket stitching around woolen shapes.
Gerry hard at work on her project.  This was the first time that Gerry had attempted applique, I'm trying very hard to get her into quilting.
The shapes are all stapled down onto the background- I wasn't sure about this, but it worked really well.  The staples come out very easily, and didn't "cut" through the fabric threads.
My finished piece.  This class was very relaxing and enjoyable, the project so achievable.  Whilst I took a few days to get finished, Gerry finished hers on the day!!!
And with the frame I purchased on the day.  Now to find a place to hang it.


Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Block Book.

The gorgeous Quilt from the Quilted Crow ladies (The Cousin's Walk) comes complete with its own block book to store all the gorgeous bird blocks in as they are completed.
I must say, this little extra was a lovely surprise as a part of the BOM.
This first month sees construction of the pieced centre block, and the Block Book.  Getting my skates on to have these two finished before the next mailout of 4 blocks comes.




Gorgeous saw-tooth border around my block book.  The applique for this is felted wool on an interesting linen-like fabric.  A loose weave, but looks very nice.
Initially, I'd thought to do this applique by hand, however, time reality hit me , so by machine it is.




I don't think it looks too bad.

One side sewn, another pinned.  Only two more to go!

Monday, March 31, 2014

A Quirky Quilt.

A couple of months ago, I was perusing The Quilted Crow girls website.  Much to my enjoyment, they were offering a new BOM based on an antique quilt they'd purchased.
This quilt is quite "folk-arty", very chunky, and I found quite endearing to me.  I signed up with a little trepidation- this quilt is over 100" square, but I do like large quilts.  And I do love applique, so both boxes ticked.
Yesterday, I decided was time to cut into the background fabric.  I've never felt such trepidation at cutting fabric in my life!
Firstly, the borders-125" along the selvage of the fabric. Gosh, that was a scary cutting exersize.  Terrified I'd slip!

Thankfully, four borders cut and a tiny bit of left over.
A few hours later, and all the background is cut into various strips, squares and triangles.  And a little cutting of centre fabrics too.  Not nearly as stressful, though.  The pieces are much smaller.

Off to piece some centre strips now and get a move along with this gorgeous quilt.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Benjamin Biggs Block 3.

The next block for Benjamin Biggs has arrived.  Amazingly, I'm keeping up with the monthly stitching for these blocks.  Mind you, there isn't a lot of actual sewing so I have no excuses!
So, here's Block 2.

I printed out the pattern for Block 3, and traced it onto the back of my background fabric, very carefully reversing the corner buds.  Last month I also carefully reversed the buds but somehow still got them back to front!  Unfortunately I didn't realise until I'd basted them down.  Grrr.
How is it possible to be so careful this month, and still get them back to front?
Looks good doesn't it?  Unfortunately, this is the back, so it will be reversed when turned over the correct way. 
Moving on from my spatial disasters, now off to choose fabrics.  The best part.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Benjamin Biggs Block 2.

I was going great guns on Block 2 this week.  Finished the centre of the block by back basteing the large pieces, it's such a good method to keep everything stable and in place whilst stitching.
These blocks are 16" (finished), so lots of large pieces to fill the block.
Last night,I glue basted the outside corner buds ready to stitch today.
I was looking at block 1 this morning, and what did I see?
Luckily, I hadn't sewn the buds down on Block 2.
Back to the drawing board!


Sunday, February 9, 2014

Celtic Solstice

Well, a blogging emergency was averted this morning.  I always carefully store my camera cable, I always know where it is so I can upload photos when I want to.
Somehow, I've filed it away very safely so it hasn't been seen for 4 days!  I've been panic stricken.  How to upload the photos?
I've never taken the SD card out of my camera before to transfer data- probably because I was oblivious to the fact that you could!  Oh dear. I'm technology challenged.  My DD's just look at me and shake their heads.
Anyway, I've had lessons on SD card removal and photo transfer.
So, here is my finished Celtic Solstice.
Dare I say it, it's ready to go off to the quilter!
This quilt was last year's Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt.  We started the Friday after Thanksgiving, and had the last clue on New Year's Day.
Imagine how good it feels to have finished this quilt already.
I'm very happy.
I'm linking up with Bonnie Hunter's  mystery quilt Link-Up.  Please go and have a look at what everyone has been up to.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Block 1 Done.

Nearly forgot to show a picture of my completed Block 1.
This block was fairly quick and easy to do, large pieces, big block.
Waiting impatiently for the next block due out on Saturday.