Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Oh how things change.....

I was cleaning up my sewing room book shelves yesterday, and came across a project from about 6 (maybe 7!)  years ago.


Oh, how cute is this pattern.  I purchased it as a block of the month over 12 months, complete with fabric.  I found the 12 kits all carefully filed away, with the first 3 blocks finished, and the 4th underway.


 
My, how times and techniques change.
 I have been appliqeing for a long time, I love the process.  However, my technique of choice has changed a lot over the last 15 years or so.
I have moved from freezer paper on the wrong side and press the seam allowances under, through freezer paper ironed on the right side to give a nice edge to turn seam allowances against, to either tracing the shape directly onto the applique fabric from the pattern or tracing around a freezer paper template and using glue to baste down.
I love glue to baste- as long as I can wash the quilt when it's finished.
When this block was started, I was still in my freezer paper on top phase.  How did I do that?  Gosh, I started trying to finish this rabbit with the paper on top.  So unwieldy, so hard to sew.  And the pins- oh the tangles!
So, I quickly traced around the shape, removed the paper and glued it down.  Huge sigh of relief.


Block 4 just needs some stems and a few tulips and she's done.  Stems are made.

1 comment:

  1. Well will you look at that...it's the rabbits!...won't be long and you'll have that block finished...

    ReplyDelete